Virus control strategies for the improvement of the chilli pepper subsector in Ibarra.
- Start of project: 24/09/2021
- End of project: 24/09/2023
- Funders: Basque Government. Dept. of Economic Development, Sustainability and Environment. Directorate of Quality and Food Industries
- Budget: 23.064,92 € (subsidised 59,32%)
- Partners: GILBE, IBARLUR, AREA VEGETAL of the Provincial Council of Gipuzkoa and ABELUR. GILBE, IBARLUR, AREA VEGETAL de Diputación Foral de Gipuzkoa y ABELUR.
The Ibarra chilli pepper is a popular local variety but is susceptible to aphid-borne viruses which cause serious production losses, affecting both the fresh product in local markets and the pickled product used by the packaging industry.
The problem will be tackled by reducing the incidence of viruses in pilot plots through aphid control, wild host flora, establishment of physical barriers and application of environmentally friendly repellents and, finally, by transferring the experience to the rest of the sector.