Programme for monitoring highly pathogenic avian influenza in the Basque Country
- Financing: Department of Economic Development and Competitiveness. Basque Government.
- Head researcher: Marta Barral
- Implementation: 2015
The general objective of this project is to maintain a programme for monitoring highly pathogenic avian influenza in the Basque Country, for which there are protocols, resources and basic diagnostic techniques available for the early detection of possible sources and the start of the immediate response
The specific objectives are:
1. Improve the diagnosis of the avian influenza strains circulating in the Basque Country
2. Fine tuning of methods of typing and molecular characterisation of the avian influenza virus
3. Detection, isolation, typing and molecular characterisation of the influenza virus in wild and domestic birds
4. Epidemiological study of the low-pathogenicity avian influenza virus identified in the Basque country
5. Serological study. To determine the presence of antibodies against the influenza A virus in birds and wild mammals.
6. To keep up to date and evaluate technical and administrative information on the subject.